[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Casual meteors 14 Sep 2001, 13 UT - possible radiant near 060+20?

Following is a message relayed to me regarding some casual meteors observed
by Stephen James O'Meara from Hawai'i... The IMO doesn't recognize activity
from the Taurid streams as beginning before 30 September - and in any case,
on 30 Sep their radiants will be located way over in SE Pisces, 40+ degrees
distant from this location. (If the radiant were active tonight, they'd be
still farther West!) IMO's "Southern Piscids", identified by Bob Lunsford as
a continuation of the year-round "antihelion" class of Sporadics, are in fact
on the ecliptic and active now, but are even farther West - over 50 degrees.

It would help to know how large of a radiant area Stephen used to associate
these meteors together. Also, he does not mention their relative speeds (as
neighboring meteors from a shower should share comparable angular velocities).
But I relay this "heads up" in the hope that other observers might have been
plotting or video recording that night, and can confirm or deny a radiant at
the location Steve mentions. Thanks for your forward to our list, Steve...

NOTE: Steve is not a current 'meteorobs' reader. If you wish to follow up,
please MANUALLY put 'someara@interpacdot net' in the "Cc:" line of your reply.

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@atmob.org>