[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Aurora question

At 11:18 PM 9/25/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Newbie question from someone who's never seen northern lights:
>
>A recent spaceweather.com e-mail mentions that tonight's possible northern
>lights have the potential to be seen at unsually low latitudes.  Any idea if
>this includes east-central Pennsylvania? Stated another way, should I bother
>keeping an eye out?

The shock wave apparently arrived at about 2000Z. It did produce some very
short-lived and weak radio aurora during the early evening hours but very
little else. Everything seems to be settling down again. Although this had
the potential for producing a major magnetic storm, it appears to have
produced only a weak disturbance.

I figgered that would happen, because here in New England for the past four
or five years, all strong aurora displays have occurred when it was raining
or overcast around here. We had a pretty good rainstorm most of the day
which dissipated pretty well by twilight and so obviously, there would be
no aurora visible around here. Sure enough, there wasn't  ;o(((((((

SteveH
SteveH
Remember the Towers!
STILL Wanted: Rear-Wheel-Drive ONLY '78-'83 Cutlass Cruiser, M*libu, or
Poncho Lemans wagon
http://members.dandydot net/~k0xp
http://www.qsldot net/k0xp