[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Ready to move forward with Leonid observing

Samuel, thank you for posting on 'meteorobs'! I suspect many other
'meteorobs' readers may be thinking the same thing you are, right
now: "How can *I* help contribute to science during the Leonids?"

First, I commend you for asking the question! Just by asking this,
you connect yourself with a broader community, a global community,
of amateur astronomers all who have the same goal...

Second, I would recommend that you do as much reading as possible
between now and mid-November. Some sites of interest to you will
surely include the following (from meteorobs.org 'Links' page):
    http://www.meteorobs.org/links.html

Third, I would recommend that you NOT start with meteor plotting:
instead, try meteor logging (or what some texts confusingly call
"meteor counting") first. This is the technique you will probably
need to use during the Leonid meteor shower peak anyway! Note it
involved more than just "counting" meteors - you must critically
also note meteor magnitudes, shower associations, and key data on
your observing conditions. Here are three excellent introductory
guides to meteor "counting" which I highly recommend. Start with
the first one, and "plow" your way through all three if you can!

    http://www.namnmeteors.org/guide.html

    http://www.amsmeteors.org/mcleod/mcleod1.html

    http://www.imodot net/visual/major01.html

Finally, be sure to get out and do meteor logging weeks BEFORE the
Leonid peak night! You will probably need at least a few hours of
practice under your belt, before you can really make a significant
contribution with your observations. This month's upcoming Orionid
meteor shower is an excellent chance to "learn to drive", before
you have to try driving the "race car" that is the Leonids!

    http://namnmeteors.org/namnnotes0110.html
    http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal01.html#Orionids
    http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/orionids.html

Simply observing on any clear night, even when "only minor showers"
are going on, is also really valuable practice for the Big Nights.

Clear skies, Samuel, and most importantly, if you have any other
question about meteors, don't hesitate to post it right here!

Lew Gramer