[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Train, Trail and Wake Definitions by Dr. Jiri Borovicka

Hello Ed,
   Thanks for sending out that reply on meteor trains!I have been reporting
their lingering times (rounded up to the nearest half second)as Trains only.I
feel confident in giving their timings in quarters of a second due to my
experience with these time frames and will do so if that is acceptable to
NAMN.
   In regard to Short Duration Trains, your quote from that definitive report
stated: "The luminosity is produced (very probably) by the atmospheric
oxygen."Could this luminosity be more easily viewed in areas with gentle
higher alt wind and little or no surface wind?Some of the Longer Persistent
Trains I've seen are visible through binoculars as tubular shaped remnants
even a minute after being created.Most notably,the few North Apex meteors
I've observed over the past few nights have had such lingering remnants and
the air has been very still.
   Air is usually so still here that marine layer clouds generally stop at
the Verdugo Mountains just west of me near the foothills of the San Gabriel
Mountains where I live.This valley is sort of a steady wall which stops low
clouds from heading east.In fact, we never get thunderstorms here.I remember
two distant thunderstorms by Pasadena over the past five years we've lived
here.
-SID!
=======================================
Sidney Ferreira