[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) How to send Leonids observations?

In a message dated 11/7/01 6:19:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dedalus@latrade.com writes:

<< Francisco, your format looks very good to me. (The actual "data
collectors" on
 our list, such as Rainer Arlt, Mark Davis or Bob Lunsford, will of course
have
 their own suggestions on what format is easiest to analyze.) >>

The only point I would have, and who cares what I have to say, is that the
Bortle Scale is a poor substitute for determining limiting magnitude. LM is
not at all difficult to determine. It's just counting stars in a
predetermined area.
I've read in various posts that observers describe a Bortle Scale number and
how the night was just "fair", and then go on to give a 6.5 LM.  To me, a
"fair" night is probably a 5.3 or 5.4.  So in my eyes the Bortle Scale is
just too vague. For whats it's worth...

KK
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html