[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Beware! Meteor Hunting Questions!

November 11, 2001

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

 I have a few questions, although some (if not all)
may have already been answered on this list of
remarkable meteor enthusiasts.

1.  Is it preferred to use an official report form
when recording a person's meteor hunts rather than a
"customized" form which may seem a bit primitive, but
nevertheless, serve the same purpose as a standard
one? This is assuming the personally designed form
contains a good portion of the same data as the other.

2.  Speaking of important data, what would be the most
crucial observation information in any report?   When
meteor reporting, I get a tad frustrated when I start
getting detailed with my observations.  After all,
meteor hunting is supposed to be a relatively relaxing
hobby!

3.  Sadly, I have recently lost a couple of star books
(perfect timing!) and I am wondering on where I can
quickly obtain a star chart that includes stars
labeled by the Greek alphabet with preferably
easy-to-use sky coordinates.  I have already tried
printing out one of the star charts on Sky&Telescope's
web site with not the best of luck.   Of course, with
such a labeled chart, calculating the LM, describing
the path length of meteors, finding meteor shower
radiants, etc. would be a lot more relaxing.

4.  Lastly, does the Milky Way hamper the limiting
magnitude and/or isn't necessarily an indicator of
high LM?  If I observed right, the sky seemed clearer
a few nights ago when the Milky Way band wasn't
visible, maybe by as much as one full magnitude.

By the way, I still hope to post my more or less
recent meteor hunt observations, including a beautiful
-3 mag. Taurid fireball when time permits.

My e-mail is unclefireballmtf@yahoo.com.

Hope I have not overwhelmed anybody!

Merry and Stormy Leonids,

Mark Fox