[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) short interval meteor counting - how?

----- Original Message -----
From: <chiayk@singnet.com.sg>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Cc: <chiayk@singnet.com.sg>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 5:48 AM
Subject: (meteorobs) short interval meteor counting - how?

> Hi folks:
>  Can anyone enlighten me what is the best way of doing voice
> counting/recording assuming one recorder is left running
> throught out the storm hours.
>   i) Do you count by saying incremental numbers aloud ?

I will say, for exemple :

one-one- one- two-four-one-three.....

>  ii) can you repeat saying "one-to ten" and restart from
> one? ( I would hv thought saying a three digit no. take
> longer time)
>  iii) and how do you know a fixed duration period had
> expired? 1-minute or 30 second intervals ( auto loop count
> down timer ? do such counter exists )

I use a casio (module 2178 or W-732 H).
This watch has a "countdown alarm mode". This can be set within the range of
1 second to 24 hours. When the countdown reaches zero, you will  hear an
alarm sounds for 10 seconds ( or you press any button, it will stop also).
You will hear the "beeps" very clear on the tape recorder.

If the activity is higher than 1999, 30 second intervals are useful !

>   iv) or Can I simply read out ( 1-10) single meteors and
> annoted changing each from single count to each one count
> represent 10 and do the binning only in post analysis.  (
> calibrated from another stop watch).
>   FYI - I will be using a Samsung backlit 8 hrs solid state
> recorder that increment count in minutes.
>
> Thanks in Advance
> rgds
> yKChia

Greetings and clear skies filled with many Leonids !!

Michel Vandeputte
Dutch Meteor Society - Sino Dutch Leonid Expedition
VVS Belgium  - Meteor section

"only 5 days until the Leonids"