[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids from New Jersey, USA

I traveled from light-stricken Staten Island to Marlboro, NJ. A friend's house near some farmland. Can't beat that!
I arrived about midnight, and the meteors were already visible. Every few minutes 1-3 shot across. As the night wore on, they increased. By 3-3:30am (I wasn't keeping accurate times or counts) the sky was full. 5-7 in a row, 3 at once, 10 across different parts of the sky...by 4:30 the numbers were so high, and so many meteors, that I just kept my eyes in the radiant overhead, and watched through the corners of my eyes!
If i had to estimate numbers toward 5am, I'd say easily we were seeing 800-1,000 meteors an hour. Thinking i was off, others in that part of NJ had similar counts.
Even as the sun rose, they were dropping like rain. The west coast must have had a really nice show!
Surprisingly, many brighter meteors than I expected. And the rates spoke for themselves!
Here's to a correct prediction for 2002!
Anthony Barra