[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids

I observed from the Osceola National Forest in Florida from sunset to dawn
under good conditions. Between 4AM and 5AM EST I counted 476 Meteors. The
rate between 5AM and 6AM was even higher, perhaps double that amount-I gave
up trying to count and just watched in amazement as they rained down. There
were several sporadics throughout the night, including one moving west to
east in the lower northern sky that broke up into pieces before detonating.
I particularly enjoyed the earthgrazers that occured between 1AM and 3AM
that stretched almost horizon to horizon moving east to west in multicolored
splendor. Several detonated in wonderful flashes of light and color.

Stargown

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html