[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) admin fwd: Leonid Meteor Shower Observation:

note: Jack Andrews <kevinandrews@mindspring.com>  is not a member of the
list, please include his address in your response -
Thank you for your report -

                          Selma Area Libertarians

                         District Representative
                  Dallas Co. Constable; Jack k. Andrews
                       kevinandrews@mindspring.com
       Choctaw, Dallas, Marengo, Perry, Sumter, and Wilcox Counties

                           ---------------------

                  - -Leonid Meteor Shower Observation- -

                            November, 18, 2001

                              Activity Major:

   Radiant:                   Duration:                        Maximum:

          Leonids (LEO)                   Max: November 18          2001
                            Nov. 18 @ 1:31 UT

                          2001 Nov. 18 @ 2:19 UT

                          2001 Nov. 18 @ 4:01 UT
                                            Subtracted 5 Hrs. from UT to
                         Compensate for CDT time.

LEONID REPORT:  Nov. 18'  2001.
Personal Information on Observer.
Observer: Constable; Jack Kevin Andrews (Amateur Astronomer)
Observation Date: November, 18’ 2001
Sender:   Constable; Jack k. Andrews
                                   459 Rountree Dr.
                                   Selma, Al. 36703
                                   334-874-895955
                                   kevinandrews@mindspring.com
Location: 3 miles North of Selma, Alabama
Latitude: 32.0407
Longitude: -87.021
Limiting Magnitude: Approximately 5th to 6th  Magnitude
E-Mail :       kevinandrews@mindspring.com
Web Page:  Selma Area Libertarians

OBSERVATION SUMMARY:
Observing time: UT 5.45 till UT 7.15  //  CDT: 3:45A.M. ­ 5:15A.M.
Approximately Two hrs and Thirty minutes Total Observational Hours . The
number and consistency of the meteors were the same during the entire
period of observation.

Radiant: Leo;  was 30 to 45 Degrees above Eastern Horizon.
Estimated Hourly Rate---Very Conservative Estimate.
3,600 per hour. An estimated 30 to 35 % were in the ­2 through ­4 to-6
magnitude leaving extented trails.

Sky Conditions:
Clear, Dark Sky, Seeing conditions were very good through Astronomical
Twilight at approximately 5:15 A.M. CDT.

     (On a personal note; after viewing meteor showers for over twelve
years I've never seen anything like this before and probably never will
again in my lifetime, it was truly a once in a life time event).
     Do you know of any organizations that would be interested in my
observations ? If so would you please e-mail me their e-mail address.
     Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Constable; Jack k. Andrews
459 Rountree Dr.
Selma, Al. 36703
334-874-8959
P.S. If you are not interested in amature astronomers observations of
the Leonids please excuse
         this e-mail. I could not find anywhere on your web site as to
whether or not you were interested in amature astronomers observations.
As this is my first report of my observations there may be many
inconsistencies, however the number of meteors estimated are correct.

--------------104989FAE591E8ECF6C22598

<http://kevinandrews.home.mindspring.com/>Selma Area Libertarians

Sender:   Constable; Jack k. Andrews
                                   459 Rountree Dr.