[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid report - narrative - Nov 17/18, Mt. Lemmon, AZ (ATAJU)

In a message dated 11/25/01 3:47:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JureAtanackov@emaildot si writes:

<<    I started at 0720 UT with 40 irrus cover and a LM of 5.7. Almost
 immediately two long grazers appeared, a -1m and a -2m, both going over 90
 degrees. In the following 10 minutes 6 more grazers appeared, 4 of them
being
 of negative magnitude! By 0800 UT cloud cover had decreased to 25% and LM
 dropped to 6.5.  >>

    From Skywatchers Inn, outside of Benson, Arizona, I saw the longest Earth
grazer I ever saw:  at 10:35 p.m. MST on November 17 (0535 UT on November
18), I witnessed a grazer that started very near the east-northeast horizon,
climbed all the way up through the zenith and finally disappeared just above
the west-southwest horizon.  It did not leave any kind of streak or trail,
but took at least 15 seconds to traverse nearly 180-degrees of sky.  The
estimated magnitude of this object was 0 to -1.  I was rather surprised,
since the Leonid radiant was still well-below our local horizon, yet what
else could it possibly have been?  Whatever it was (Leonid or sporadic) it
was very spectacular!

-- joe rao
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html