[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) ZHR question follow-up

Following up on (e)ZHR questions -- the NAMN Observing Guide,
Chapter 8 -- http://www.namnmeteors.org/guidechap8.html -- begins
with the statement, "The zenithal hourly rate is a means by which
different observers can convey their results to each other."  So
I am a bit disappointed to find out that, at least with the
(simplified?) ZHR formula that's in that article, my eZHR
calculations based on my own counts are apparently of no such
use.  I presume that the formula is too simplified -- no estimate
of size of field of view (e.g. wide FOV versus tunnel vision, no
glasses versus wearing glasses), no estimate of individual level
of perception, etc.  Is there a somewhat more accurate formula to
use with individual observations?  Or do we just wait for the
most accurate ZHR that is calculated for a given hour and compare
our individual results with that?  If the latter, how should I
interpret the statement above from the NAMN Observing Guide?

Here's a question for next year.  Since the Moon will be full,
might it be fair, at least in a very simplified sense, to say
that to some extent older folks, whose eyes tend not to dilate
as much in the dark, will be at somewhat less of a disadvantage
next year?

Sort of related to that, full Moon is bad and full city glow is
bad.  Are the two together the worst of all?  Should one still
get out of the city even when the Moon is full?  I suppose it
really depends on how bad the city glow (and air pollution) is.
And maybe also if one's eyes never dilate a lot, it doesn't
matter much?

A while ago on Space.com I read a Leonids report by someone who
traveled from Houston, TX, to the McDonald Observatory and had
completely clear sky there!  I was within a couple of hours of
there by 9:00 p.m. Saturday evening!  I wish I had had a clue!
But at least I drove in a generally good direction and got to
see and count the most meteors I ever will in one night --
unless something incredibly astounding happens next year.

Looking forward to the Geminids with warm snow boots (Many of us
from central Texas can't take even "sort of" cold weather very
well.  I don't know how you folks in the lands of ice and snow
do meteor or any other kind of observing.  I admire your grit!)
--

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html