[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) a few beginner questions...

In a message dated 11/28/01 9:07:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mark777ebay@aol.com writes:

<<
 #1)  When is it likely that predictions for 2002 will be finalized?>>

Don't know.

<< #2)  Is it possible that the moon will only be a problem for part of the
observation period?  (Is it possible to move to different parts of the world
to avoid the moon?) (Is it possible that updated predictions might lesson the
moon problem?)>>

No, the moon will be full and in the nighttime sky all night. The best thing
to do is to face away from the moon or wait until the end on the night when
the moon will be low in the west.

<< #3)  Anyone know where to find what time the moon rises and sets next
year?   >>

According to Project Pluto's Guide 7.0 -

Rises - 8:38  UT
Transits - 3:21 UT
Sets - 10:12 UT

<< #4)  And finally, from reading, I suspect that 2002 will not be that good
for data recording... but is it possible that it will be better (than 2001)
for beginners just hoping to see a great display?)    >>

There are so few meteor observers world wide that any night you can get out
under skies better than 5.0 magnitude is a good night for data recording.
As a beginner, I would bolster my data taking by sitting under some of the
non-storm showers - Geminids, Quads, Lyrids, Perseids, Orionids. The minor
showers are fine also but if you're counting it could get a little dull.

KK
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html