[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) [Leonids 2001 from Anza Borrego Park CA USA]

Jure A. wrote:
>   Here's my report for the pre-peak night from Mt. Lemmon. We had
> very good skies with top LM reaching 7.1. Leonids were quite active,
> especially during the last hour (as one would expect). The big surprise
> were, however, the Taurids. Between 7:30 and 8:30 UT I saw no less
> than 15 of these meteors. By far the best activity I've ever seen from
> Taurids.
>   The best meteors of the night: a -3m green Taurid and a...
> ...-10m Leonid fireball at 12:58:00+-20. It left a train that endured
> 5 minutes in ever brighter morning twilight.

I was in California (Anza Borrego Park), & my observations agree with
yours.  I saw the same Leonid Fireball around 5am local time, near morning
twilight.  (This demonstrates that the same meteor can be seen by
observers separated by large distances).  I got it on film.  It had a
stellar nucleus, & had a halo (there were high clouds).  It was the best
Leonid Fireball I saw all night, possibly the only one.

I also saw a lot of Taurids.  I kept seeing meteors that seemed to
originate from Auriga?  Or, is it another constellation like Monoceros?

I thought the Leonids on 16/17 were a total bust, hardly saw anything.  I
wasn't that optimistic for 17/18, but it turned out to be the best meteor
shower I ever saw.  However, the sky conditions were not as good on the
17/18, than on the 16/17.

B Yen

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html