------- Forwarded Message

From: "Jim" <sunwatt@starbanddot net>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:52:39 -0600

Interested in collecting micrometeors? Look up this article on the web or
dig out a copy of the Sept. 2001 Discover Magazine:

    http://www.discover.com/recent_issue/index.html

The article is called "Star Dust", it's by Hannah Holmes and it's very
interesting stuff.

This webpage is listed there, but I'm adding it here anyway so you're sure
not to miss it:

    http://www-curator.jsc.nasadot gov/dust/dust.htm

I've looked at some stuff I picked up with a small magnet afew days after
the Leonid storm. Kind of looked like some of these pictures. Not the nice
round ones, the clumpy stuff in the Discover article. But I will keep
looking, and maybe soon find the round material as well.

If I do find some real space dust, how do I mount it on a slide? And keep
any iron from rusting, or dissolving?

What is the material (non micrometeorite) that my magnet is finding?

Magnetite?? (also known as iron oxide)

If most of what I am getting is magnetite, where can I see a picture of
some?

What I do is dab the magnet (its inside a plastic bag) on the ground where
rain runs off my roof. Then I hold the material over a small dish and
carefully move the magnet away from the metallic material it was holding on
the outside of the baggie. The metallic material falls into the dish.

One idea I read about, and like is using a kids pool and a water pump to
circulate the water by a magnet.

But I also plan on buying a metal detector and searching around my 300+
acres.

I live a mile from the Ozark National Forest, and its a mile to the nearest
house. But I guess metallic pollution can get here too, but at least we
don't have any local pollution of that sort.

Jim

------- End of Forwarded Message

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html