[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) NAMN Notes: December 2001

*************************
NAMN Notes:  December 2001
*************************

Introduction:

NAMN Notes is a monthly newsletter produced by the North American Meteor
Network, and is available both via email, and on the NAMN website at:
http://www.namnmeteors.org

Contents:

1.  The Gems of Winter - Debris from an Asteroid!...
2.  Other December Showers...
3.  Leonid Meteor Storm over China... by Lew Gramer
4.  Recent Observations - Leonids!...
5.  A Binocular Comet for Observers...
6.  Christmas Gift Ideas for Meteor Observers...
7.  Upcoming Meetings...
8.  For more info...

1.  The Gems of Winter - Debris from an Asteroid!...

Welcome to winter!  It is hard to believe that it is December, and that the
long-awaited Leonid meteor 'storm' is now behind us.  Christmas is just
weeks away, and 2002 just around the corner.

Did we capture your meteor interest with the spectacular Leonid meteor
display??  We hope so!  Meteor observing is a wonderful pastime, hobby, and
scientific pursuit - all rolled into one.  It is what you make it.  You can
stretch out in a lawnchair in your own backyard and marvel at the 'shooting
stars' as they streak across the sky - or you can pack the car, hit the
road, and travel hundreds of miles in search of a 'hole in the cloud' in
order to gather scientific data for meteor researchers.  Meteors have
something for everyone - and all ages alike.

We have a treat for you in December too.  It's the Geminid meteor shower -
the 'Gems' of winter!  This is the best annual meteor shower that we have.
Sure, the Leonids were great this year - and should be next year - but those
large displays are temporary.  The Geminids, at least for many years to
come, have the highest rates for a dependable shower.

The Geminids (GEM) reach a maximum on December 14th at 04 hours UT,
Universal Time.  That's the time in Greenwich, England - so calculate your
own local time accordingly.  For those of us in North America, it means the
night of December 13/14.  These are average velocity meteors, at about 35
km/second, and they tend to be fairly bright.  The magnitude for many of
these Geminid meteors will be about the same as the brightness of the stars
of the Big Dipper.  Many have 'trains' left after the meteors are seen, so
they are a wonderful sight.

The radiant, the area in the sky where the meteors will seem to come from,
is at 112 degrees, ie RA 7 hours 28.2 minutes, Dec +33 degrees, which is
close to the bright star Castor in the constellation of Gemini, the Twins.
Geminid meteors can be seen from about December 7th to 17th.  For a map
showing the movement of the 'radiant' throughout December, check out
http://www.imodot net/calendar/cal01.html#Geminids.

Where do these meteors come fr