[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Excerpts from "CCNet 123/2001 - 22 November 2001"

>Sorry to disagree, but Tagish Lake is thought to be a D class asteroid
>(though there is a SLIGHT chance it is cometary),with an asteroidal orbit -
>here is the abstract from a paper presented at this month's DPS...

Don't be sorry Bill ...i appreciate being corrected if I'm wrong,thanks!

I always thought that "carbonaceous chondrite" equates to cometary material
(my (very basic!)error ...they are in fact usually asteroid material?) but
the abstract you provided says "a body intermediate between chondritic
asteroids and cometary bodies".

Would i be correct in saying that the density they quote for the recovered
fragments is also intermediate between asteroids and cometary bodies?
....and this (the density) is the primary criteria in classification of the
type of parent body ? Is this then the first discovered and studied sample
of material in the intermediate category?

Leo