[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Comet going south, leaving northern view

Lew wrote:

>"SORT OF" ON-TOPIC - i.e., "WELCOME ANY TIME THE LIST IS QUIET":
>[...]
>
>3) Important announcements and discussion about comets and asteroids

Comet C/2000 WM1 (LINEAR).  Just a note to northern hemisphere folks
that this comet, magnitude currently about +5.6 and brightening, is
going south rapidly.  This weekend will be the last pretty good one
even for us at only 30 degrees north.  I heard from an Australian
friend that it's easy to see with 7x35 binoculars.  Those at dark
sites might see it without magnification.  Here's the Minor Planet
Center's daily ephemeris:

 http://cfa-www.harvarddot edu/iau/Ephemerides/Comets/2000WM1_1.html

Higher precision, more detailed ephemerides are available from:

 http://ssd.jpl.nasadot gov/horizons.html

This comet is featured on the Astronomy Picture of the Day for Dec. 6.

The Dec. 5 picture is a *really* nice photo of a more than 100 (?)
Leonids taken by Chen Huang-Ming from Taiwan:

 http://antwrp.gsfc.nasadot gov/apod/ap011205.html

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html