[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Are the geminids really disappearing?

I have an old Astronomy issue (dec/90) that carries an article advising:
"Observe the geminids before they disappear" (by Phillp Bagnall). Some
excerpts say:

"The geminid swarm has difted past Earth over the last 150 years. Today
our orbit still intersects the densest part of the meteor swarm, but by
the early 21st we will miss this core entirely. The way the shower has
picked has also changed over the years, with today's shower rising
slowly to maximum and dropping off sharply"... "This situation is
exactly the opposite of that witnessed during the 1930's"... "If the
computer model is correct, we will miss the core completely by the turn
of the century and rates will plummet."

Have there been any changes to this model since 1990?

Are the geminids ZHR really dropping off in the last few years?

Kiko Soares
P. Prudente - Brasil
22.07 S - 51.22 W