[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Degrees

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Gardner" <rendrag@earthlinkdot net>

> I am a little confused as to why meteor observers would use degrees to
> express right ascension.

Hi Robert,

It makes sense when you consider that many stream lists also give values for
radiant drift in RA and Declination.When working in degrees for RA, it is
most easy to add the radiant drift corrections (usually about 1 degree per
day).

> I can see using degrees for solar longitude if you also specify an epoch.
> Even there I don't always get what I expect, and I think it doesn't
> always mean the same thing when applied to meteors.  If a table of
> showers lists solar longitude  under the "Maximum" columns without
> specifying epoch, does that mean that I can use the current epoch table
> to determine the UT of the maximum?

Any value for solar longitude is meaningless without the epoch specified.
Usually I guess, sources that do not probably imply epoch J2000.

Best wishes,

Marco

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: