[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leo 2001 coverage in S&T 3/2002

>To: leo2001@yahoogroups.com
>Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 13:52:04 +0100 (MET)

Hi Daniel,

> Am I the only one unhappy with the coverage of the 2001 Leonid storms
> in the new Sky & Telescope? Here is a letter I just sent them; as it
> exceeds their 300 words limit, it'll probably not make it into the
> magazine in full, so here is a "preprint":

I see this article not as the "final Leonid report" in Sky&Telescope.
After all we have not even finished the visual analysis in IMO (Rainer
and co are working hard on that), and the numbers are still changing
significantly. So let's hope they will cover this topic in the future
once again.

Of course, you are right that you can't derive serious activity
estimates from individual statements like "I saw 1.500 meteors".

Cheers,
Sirko

PS: Together with Pete Gural and Osamu Okamura I'm currently working on a
WGN paper which compares the strength of the American and Asian peak from
data of identical video systems. Interestingly both peaks differ much
stronger in the video than in the visual data (at least by a factor of
three [in favor of Asia]), but we have not yet finished the analysis.

- --
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *
*  Ahornstr. 55, D-52056 Aachen, Germany      *       " 2B v 2B "        *
*  phone: +49-241-8021615                     *             Shakespeare  *
*  fax  : +49-241-8022219                     *                          *
*  email: molau@informatik.rwth-aachendot de     *                          *
*  www  : http://www-i6.informatik.rwth-aachendot de/Colleagues/molau       *