[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: soho image

Hello:

 Reason SOHO images are saturated due to following posted on
website:

Apr 21 2002 15:18:58

Doug Biesecker

 Due to a large solar flare on the solar west limb (which is
 magnetically well connected to the Earth), a proton storm
 is now evident in the LASCO and EIT images.  Due to an unrelated
 problem, not all movies are being updated at the moment.  For the
 uninitiated, this is the 'snow storm' in the LASCO images.  It is
 due to high energy protons accelerated during the solar event.
 These particles are also known as solar cosmic rays, or sometimes
 just cosmic rays.  The more typical cosmic rays we see in the
 LASCO images are galactic in origin.