[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Re: best Perseid site

David,

I'm betting on the early Tuesday morning event for Oklahoma.  The IMO's
2002 calendar

 <http://www.amsmeteors.org/imo-mirror/calendar/cal02.html#Perseids>

gives the following universal dates and times for possible Perseid
events...

August 12, 20:15 UT
August 12, 22:30 UT
August 13, 08:30 UT

corresponding to

August 12, 3:15PM CDT
August 12, 5:30PM CDT
August 13, 3:30AM CDT

So the only event that will occur at night in Oklahoma will be the last
one which occurs early Tuesday morning.  Now if I understand your
question, you're wondering if the night before or after is the best since
the "traditional" maximum occurs smack dab in the middle.  From what I've
gleaned from the Perseid reports at the IMO site (look at
<http://www.amsmeteors.org/imo-mirror/articles/results.html>), the
traditional maximum lasts about 1/2 day in  _total_  and will be centered
around 5:30PM CDT.  So it would be a no-show for Oklahoma.  Thus, I'm
betting on the Tuesday morning event.  Good luck.

By the way, I'm just down the street from you.  I live in Cushing, OK.  I
have been in contact with Gerry from the club and I look forward to
meeting you all someday at the observing site (Unfortunately, I already
have other Perseid 2002 plans, but sometime in the future I look forward
to visiting the club's site!).

Matthew