[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

R: (meteorobs) NAMN Notes: August 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <sc_meteors@hotmail.com>
To: Meteor Observing List <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 10:23 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) NAMN Notes: August 2002

> **************************
> NAMN Notes:  August 2002
> **************************
>
> Introduction:
> NAMN Notes is a monthly newsletter produced by the North American Meteor
> Network, and is available both via email, and on the NAMN website at:
> http://www.namnmeteors.org
>

> The alpha Capricornids (CAP), although having reached a maximum on July
> 29th, can be seen also into August until about the 15th.  These are
> wonderful, slow meteors, with a velocity of about 25 km per second.  They
> are spectacular to see!  ZHR rates will be low, as even at maximum rates
> only reached about 4 meteors per hour.  On the August 10th weekend, the
> radiant will be at 318 degrees, ie. RA 21h 12m, Dec -6, which is about 5
> degrees off to the right of beta Aquarius, the star Sadalsuud.  This
shower
> often produces fireballs, and many of the meteors have been reported as
> being yellow in color.  The alpha Capricornids are believed to have a
parent
> body of either the asteroid (2101) Adonis or the comet
> 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdusakova.

     Perhaps the parent body or one of the parent bodies of Alpha
Capricornids
it's the new found asteroid 2002 NY40 that following M.P.E.C. 2002-O17
circular
the August 18th shall be of 9.6 magnitude and shall pass at  0.00360 AU from
the Earth around August 19th.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli

Follow-Ups: References: