[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Nice terminal burst meteor

Friday evening local time (about 3:26:49 July 27 UTC), from
the suburbs just west of Austin I saw a meteor with a very
nice terminal burst.  It appeared about 20-25 degrees up in
the north-northwest and went almost straight down, maybe
about five degrees and then -- flash!  My guess was that it
was maybe first magnitude.  I inquired with local astronomy
club members, and some who were about 120 km northwest of
my location saw it go down due north of them, about 45-50
degrees up in the sky.  So I think maybe (I'm guessing) it
was close to overhead perhaps above Lometa or Goldthwaite,
Texas (roughly 120 km west of Waco, I think).  I know it
wasn't a fireball, but it sure was a picture-perfect
terminal burst.  It looked blue-white to me.

In later June and again in the last week or so (after two
or three weeks of cloudy-rainy tropical weather), almost
every evening that I've been out, I've seen two or three
meteors going straight down in various parts of the sky.
These are almost all long before local midnight daylight
saving time.  Austin is latitude 30.3 north, 97.7 west.

Looking forward to Perseids--

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA