[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Aug. 7/8 & Aug 8/9 reports from KS (MATBE)

With the very great poss. of clear skies here in E KS tonite, I
am going with a quick report on these two nites sessions.  I opted
for rest last nite in prep. for these next 3 nites sessions, hopefully.

As in my note forwarded to the list from R. Lunsford, there was
activitiy noted in my counts as L from Lacerta area above the
Great sq. of Pegasus on both nites. Almost identical long
slow Kappa Cygnids mag. 2 across the N sky at almost the
same time of the nite (+/- 15  min. of 230am local time) were
the only two seen.  Apex activity was scant the first longer nite
session, but high on Aug. 9am.  I got a nearly head-on blue
mag. 0 w/2 sec. train that morning.

We'll have to see what the Perseid's are going to be up to
this year.  Looks promising with the activity levels I have
been seeing, in clear dark unobstructed horizon skies,
but no reflection can be made as to whether it will be a "good"
peak or broad peak.  I have logged a bunch of ob. time since
7/30 and still nothing brighter than -2.5 from the Perseids, or
anything else for that matter.  That and a -2 Perseid during
the 3 hr. stint on Aug. 7/8 are it above -1 in brightness.

Here is my count reports -

Louisberg Middle Creek State Lake Site - 28.5 miles S of O.P., KS
Latitude is 39.66 N
Notepad method without looking, straightline plotting on
radiant member I.D., Lunsford coordinates for showers.
Observing centered on E 70 degrees elevation.
zs - 6.3 about as good as that site gets I suspect.

Aug 7/8 all times LOCAL TIMES (CST)

1220-120am    (19)  7 P, 3 L, 1 AC, 2 NDA, 1 SDA, 1 ANT, 4 Spor

 120-220am     (27) 10 P,4 L, 1 AC, 1 NDA, 1 NPX, 10 Spor

 220-320am     (23) 12 P,1 L, 4 SDA, 1 NDA, 1 Iota Aq, 1 KCyg, 1 NPX,
                              & only 2 Spor.

There was a freakish lull punctuated only by 3 PER and a mag. 4 Spor
from 300-320am, sending me home.

13 of the 29 Perseids had trains, or 44.27%.

Aug. 8/9

MIDDLE CREEK SITE as above
Method as above, all times LOCAL TIME (CST)
Facing ENE 60 degrees.
z.s. 6.3

Could only manage an hour and a half tonite, gotta pay the
bills, too!

0148-0218 ( 9)  5 P, 1 L, 1 SIotaAq, 2 Spor.
I repostioned my lawnchair setup from grassy area to gravel
road area in the break!
0230-330 am (29) 16 P, 1 KCyg, 1 L, 2 NDA, 1 SDA, 3 NPX,
                             1 SPX, 4 Spor

At 311am I got an unusual 3 satellite (I think!) triangular formation
from SSW to NNE almost overhead, not a perfect triangle with the
trailer about 2 degrees back from echeloned 1 degree apart front
runners.  Are these a military satellite group??  Not bright enough
for the space station and maybe accompanying craft, is it?  I would
love to hear input on this.

I also logged mag. 0, 1 PER's, and a long mag. 0 N Apex during
my 12 min. break and during breakdown before leaving.

Perseid trains were - 7 of 23, including the casuals or 30.4%.
Best Perseid of this nite was a -1.  Both Lacertid radiating meteors
were well seen but dimmer than nite before at mag.s 4 & 5.

OK - naptime,

Best,

from Overland Park, KS