[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Chirping firebaLL

----- Original Message -----
From: E.L. Jones

> Make,
> There is a well reported --but not yet understood, phenomena called
"electrophonic sound" associated with some meteors. Theories are that the
very low frequency radio waves created
> by the plasma cause some objects on the ground to vibrate. When they
vibrate they produce sonic noise. Observers hear the sound simultaneously
with the fireball.  They may or may
> not hear the subsequent sonic boom as well.   So don't worry that you are
hallucinating and be happy that you have heard something that might happen
only once in your life time.

    Simultaneous sound,  associate with some meteors remains controversial.
Reports are often submitted stating that such sounds occur.  Until we have
"repeatable", instrumentally recorded evidence of this, one must remain
sceptical.  Instrumental evidence should include a video photograph of the
meteor synchronized with an instrument recording the sound phenomenon.  Not
just on ONE occasion, but repeatable or at least more than one sample.  As
far as I am aware, such hard evidence does not exist.  If it does I would
like to hear about it, including details on the circumstances and the
instrumentation used for this.  I'm aware of the Croatian report submitted
by Zgrablic et al awhile back for a Leonid fireball.  More hard evidence is
still needed to confirm this often reported phenomenon.

Ed Majden

Follow-Ups: References: