[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation August 14/15

And Hi again!

  The last night of the camp proved to be the clearest. I started after
midnight with the sky at LM6.9. Some clouds were lingering on northwestern
horizon so I was constantly expecting the sky to cloud over, but somehow
it stayed clear. I had a break between 00:20 and 00:52, and during the break
the wind picked up and the sky improved dramatically. As I started again at
00:52 the LM was 7.2 immediately, improving to an amazing 7.4 at 01:24, and
then slowly dropping to 7.0 with the start of dawn at 02:06 UT. I must say
that this night the sky was much more impressive than meteoric activity. M33
was visible with direct vision, a very rare event. But the most impressive
objects were the Gegenschein and Zodiacal band. I had never seen the Zodiacal
band from Slovenia before, but this night it was bright and prominent, no less
than 16 degrees wide in Pisces, Aries and Taurus. So impressive, in fact, that
I made a break just to get the all-sky camera running again (we had abandoned
the use of our all-sky camera due to some unsolved dewing problems, Jure and I
put the camera together a couple of days before the camp and never really took
time to make a proper warming system...) and made  several images. The clouds
were dark on the horizon except in the direction of several light domes.
	Ok, now to the meteoric activity. Not bad at all! The Perseids were
alive and present with about 30/h. There was a spectacular burst of 3 Perseids
in 2 seconds at 01:13 UT. There were also, suprisingly, two fireballs: an
orange -6m Perseid in Aquila producing a flash and a 10 second train and a
yellow -4m Perseid with train 5 seconds. Aquarids and Kappa Cygnids were again
present, while the sporadics were very disappointing given the excellent LM!
Javor and I also observed comets C/2002 O6 and C/2002 O4 Hoenig, both easily
visible in 7x50 binos with O6 also visible with the naked eye!

METEOR SUMMARY REPORT