[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Daniel Gruen - fireball sounds

Graham & Amy Palmer wrote:

> I am no expert, but I have heard a theory that would explain the sound
> observed during your fireball... It involves ionisation around the bolide
> somehow transmitting a signal in radio(?) wavelengths which can then be
> re-converted to sound if there is something to act as an antennae...
> (eye-glasses are a good one...) This allows you to hear the fireball in
> real-time..!!
> If anyone has corrections or additions to my explanation, please feel free!

I saw this fireball through fir forest.  Nine years ago I heard another
simultaneous sound in association with a fireball.  Same observing place
but the fireball occur in another part of the sky, just over fir forest,
a birch and a pine.  So, vegetation could be a contributing factor in
both of my cases.  But since others have heard simultaneous sounds
overhead, wouldn't the explanation grow only more complex with no common
elements.

I have no glasses or had any electronic gadgets around me, part from
my wrist watch.  But there are metals nearby: power lines, chimney and
aluminium frame in my lawn chair.  If these metals would convert
electromagnetic signal to sound, wouldn't we hear the sound coming
from those direction?  The problem is that I've been able to "sense"
the direction where they came from.  In 1993, when observing Perseids,
I heard/sensed the simultaneous sound coming from up and behind me.
I reacted by instincts; turned around and looked up where it had
happened, and only then my train of thoughts catch up with me.
Yeah, it was new, surprising and great to hear a simultaneous sound
with a fireball, but I felt ecstatic, like a superhuman, to sense
where it had happened in the sky, in what direction and elevation.
That was and still is the most memorable thing about it.  Like if
there were something more in these sounds, more than what other,
normal, everyday sounds have.

Make