[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation Oct 09 (LINMI) - Some GIA activity

I am on a trip to mainland US, in Las Vegas now and went out to a semi-dark site I frequent when in town here. It is about 25 miles from my hotel on the Vegas strip. All things considered, its a decent location. Despite the huge light dome to the east (and Luxor searchlight beaming into M31), plus residual glow elsewhere in the sky, my LM was 6.2 near the zenith where I concentrated my viewing.

A fair amount of meteor activity was seen, but nothing bright. I believe I saw 2 GIA. They were faint, but both paths intersected perfectly with the radiant. The anthelions were surprisingly abundant, considering the early hour and low radiant.

Overall, the conditions for meteor observing in this area are quite good. Anyone considering viewing the Leonids next month should think about the Las Vegas area, especially with the good climate and easy travel conditions.

Aloha,
Mike Linnolt

REPORT FOLLOWS:
--------------------------

OBS: Mike Linnolt (LINMI)
DATE: Oct 09, 2002
TIME: 0300 - 0402 UT (8:00pm - 9:02pm PDT evening of Oct 08)
LOC: Mountain Springs, Nevada (36° 00' N, 115° 30m W)
ELEV: 1000m
Conditions: Clear. Temp 68F. RH 30%. Winds light.
METHOD: Paper

Observing Periods Summary:
==========================

# Period(UT) FOV   Teff  F  LM   GIA  ANT  SPO
  ---------- ---   ----  -  ---  ---  ---  ---
1 0300-0402 20h+30 1.00 1.0 6.2   2    4    6

ANT = Taurids (IMO)

Periods Detail:

Period #1:

Mag -3 -2 -1 0 +1 +2 +3 +4 +5 +6