[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Whence the Taurids? (was Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Activity Outlook for November 8-14, 2002)

> I am curious to hear Bob's thoughts, and those of other observers and
> theorists, about this question: In which category SHOULD the Taurids
> be classed - as a shower (and a fairly noticeable one at that!) or as
> essentially glorified Sporadics, part of the general ecliptical locus
> which Bob has labeled the "Antihelion radiant"?

For me this meteor shower is  a complete and fully "meteor shower". Every
year,  I love to see those graceful slow meteors. You must not forget that
ages ago, the activity of this stream was comparable with that of the
Perseids now. Can you imagine this ??
This week I enjoyed a 3 hours observing session (4-5/11) especially for this
stream. Taurids rates went up to 4 stream members in one hour.
And you can't miss them ; they are so typical.  Ordinary shower members
mostly show the following characteristics; slow and white meteors followed
by a shorter and weaker trail. They have also the reputation as "fireball
shower" ; well ; my passion for meteors started in 1991 with....an orange
taurid fireball with fragmentation. I will never forget that sight. Also
this last observing night I was very lucky to observe a -5 Taurid fireball
(green severe terminal flare with some fragmentation at the end). So, for me
they are much more than just an "ecliptical locus".

Kind regards and counting down to the....Leonids ! 10 days to go !

Michel Vandeputte - Ronse (Zuid Oost-Vlaanderen)
Dutch Meteor Society
VVS Belgium - meteor section
email : michelvandeputte@hotmail.com
http://www.gamma-andromedadot be/

"only 10 days until the 2002 Leonid Meteor Storm"

Follow-Ups: References: