[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fabulous earthgrazer seen outside Dallas

	I'm still fairly new to the meteor scene, so I hope I'm using that term
correctly.  At about 4:40AM Central US Time (GMT -6), my friends and I saw a
fireball that took up approximately 20-30 degrees of sky.  The trajectory
marked it as a Leonid, but the most amazing thing about this one (to me) was
that it skipped; right in the middle of its train, there was a gap of maybe
5-10 degrees.  The train remained for perhaps 10 seconds, allowing me to
savor the moment.

	All in all, it was a fairly tame night, but there were some nice bright
ones, with an occasional burst of ~5 per second.  The moon couldn't shut
them all out; man, now I'm really psyched for the Geminids, and it'll also
be a *great* time to observe Saturn (we spent about 20 minutes before 4:00
gazing at Jupiter and its four big moons... quite a sight).

Clear skies!

Peter Brunone