[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids

Here is the breakdown that I have from my records during the Leonids  morning
18th
observing from Louisbourg, KS m 20 minutes south of KC, Kansas

(1) I recorded -wrote down information about 81 meteors from 11:30 to 5:21 (I
missed a lot while writing these things down )
(2) I recorded the ohs and ahhs from 3:31-4:30 AM and we saw at least 113
meteors of all sorts during that hour as best I could determine (although I
missed the ones that people saw as doubles- 2 or meteors at the same time)
(3) 35 Meteors from the ooohs and ahhs from 4:34-5:13 (does not count doubles)

There were videos of the storm briefly on channel 9 news .

Nice pictures, trails and more at spaceweather
http://spaceweather.com/meteors/gallery_18nov02.html

What I will remember most was that zero magnitude earthgrazer streaming
upward over the dome at 11:30pm,  the first meteor I saw. It came up like a
skyrocket fireworks from the horizon   gaining higher and higher in altitude
and as it did  with the fire like flames very visiblly yellow . I have never
seen an earthgrazer. I know there were a few other earthgrazers but forgot to
note that.

There were nice ones but no sky splitter (super bright or bolide) but at
least it was clear and we had a good observing session compared to 2001
fiasco. At least the weather cooperated for us.

David H said there were quite a 53 cars and the turn out was great over 100
people at our observatory!!!! thanks for the snacks that kept many of us
going.

Dr.Eric Flescher (kcstarguy@aol.com)
member, Astronomical Society of Kansas City (ASKC)
webmaster Eric's Black Sun Eclipse website -
<ericsblacksuneclipse.com>webmaster,  Satori Astronomy website
<http://members.aol.com/kcstarguy/blacksun/satoriastronomy.htm> -editor-
Black Sun eclipse newsletter (eclipse/astronomy news) to subscribe send email
to blacksuneclipse-subscribe@yahoogroups.com