[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids -- wish I had been THERE!

I've been reading some of the apparently *thousands* of Leonids
reports on the Space.com site and found at least one that really
caused me to say, "I wish I had been THERE!" -- somewhere in the
mountains in Romania!  The observer reports seeing almost
continuously during 20 minutes around the (first) peak time
(6:05 a.m. local time, i.e., 4:05 UTC), two or three meteors per
*second*!  For him and his friends there, the Moon had set
behind a mountain peak 45 minutes earlier, and the sky was clear.
The message info items on his message are:  "Re: Leonid Meteor
Shower Reports, gtomescu, 11/20/02 04:03 PM, Gheorghe Tomescu".
I think that this link goes directly to his report:

http://uplink.space.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=askastronomer&Number=359537

If you like (and have time) to read Leonid reports by all kinds
of people from all over the world, http://uplink.space.com/ is a
great read!  In the "Space News & Events" part of it, there are
reports in the "Ask The Astronomer" and the "Space Science &
Astronomy" sections, if not elsewhere.  (BTW, Space.com is not
paying me to mention their site -- and I have no affiliation
with them!)

Oh, re: my question the other day about a table of predictions
that included low rates at times other than the two main peaks,
it seems, as best I can tell, it was in the November "NAMN Notes".
Thanks to Bert M. from Kansas for the tip about it.

For the last hour or so, the Meteorobs Web site apparently has
been down ("currently unavailable"), from here at least.

Ed Cannon - ecannon @ mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA