[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball or reentry over west coast of US?

Title: Fireball or reentry over west coast of US?
I have received e-mail from 2 people today about a meteor (or maybe a satellite reentry) seen at 6:15 a.m. (PST) this morning. One person was from Oregon, but I am not sure about the other. Both gave the time as Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,
Gary

"Bob Hanna" <Boringpstr@aol.com> wrote 9:00:46 28 Nov 2002

Thanksgiving morning, 6:15 AM PST I saw a slow streaking blaze of fireball across the Northern sky.  It seemed to be in a couple pieces.  One TV station later said that it was what they thought a meteor.  Is there any information avialable?

"debbie Stempf" <dstempf@attbi.com> wrote at 10:24:15 28 Nov 2002

This morning at 615 pacific time I awoke from a sound sleep to see a beautiful
huge blaze of yellow, orange, red slowly crossing
the sky. It was stunning and confusing. After reading
from your web site I'm assuming it was a meteor close
to the atmosphere and the horizon. I wonder about it
because it was so amazing and I've never seen anything
like it before. It seemed much to big to be the size of sand
grains.How do I estimate it's size?  It seemed so close to the earth...like at the flight height of airplanes or 30,000 feet. Is this possible? I waited for some time before I was
convinced it wasn't going to collide with the planet! Can you
direct me to a photo of what I might have saw?