[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Geminids in Jakarta, Indonesia

> > We use the Australian almanac/yearbook made by Quasar Publishing called
> > "A Practical guide to the night sky"
> > <http://www.quasarastronomy.com.au/default.htm> for our meteor shower
> > info... they've never let us down and we've been using it since '95
> > (they were the only ones in the Australian media that got the '98
> > leonid fireball peak just right *17th* ( 16th UT ).

There is no basis to this.  Unless a prediction has some theoretical
justification you can't say that one prediction out of many that just
happens to be right proves anything about that prediction.  It might
just have been an error that happened to be correct!

Basically unrelated, but two comets have been discovered by observers
pointing there telescopes where they expected to find a comet, finding it,
then noting that their coordinates were wrong.  Mistakes can appear to
be correct.

Cheers, Rob