[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Beginner telescope recommendation?

Gene,

While I've never owned one I think for simplicity (just point and shoot) and
the maximum aperature for the buck (your 8 year old will see more) I'd have
to say a Dobsonian. I just got my "Orion" telescope catalog out here. They
sell the Orion Skyquest XT 4.5 Dobsonian for about $200. They're marketing
this thing as  the ideal "kids scope".

I think a  Dob will give you maximum aperature for the money and the Dob
mount (basically a lazy susan type of deal) makes it easy for a child to
use...no messing with altazimuth or equatorial mounts.

Now the only down side to this is that, unless the scope has a tracking
drive on it, your youngster will have to manually  move the Dob to keep
objects in view, but what the heck. That's how they learn about the earth's
rotation.

I think I would find out where your local astronomy club meets for "star
parties" and take the kid (or kids) there and let them look through a few
different scopes.

I'm sure many a child has lost interest in astronomy after a disappointing
first experience with a "dime store" telescope. A Dob should give a good
account of itself..a kid should be able to see a lot with one.

I would also suggest you order a copy of Guy Ottwell's "Astronomical
Calendar" and "Astronomical Companion" both very excellent books. Check out
"Universal Workshop" online. It may be universalworkshop.com

I have no idea about your level of knowledge with astronomy. If you'd like
information on where to buy telescopes and astronomy "stuff" get back to me.
I'll be glad to offer some suggestions. Now, it's back to addressing
Christmas cards!

Regards,

Mark S. Williams
Elizabeth, IN