[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) A thought,

I watched the video of the Challenger accident  and listened to the
reports on Saturday.. Sunday I read the New York Times and the local
Harrisburg, Pa paper, the front page photographs are chilling.  I like
the rest of the nation and world was in shock.

So often catastrophic entries as the Challenger are unobserved. Usually
when a man made space object reenters the atmosphere,  it is over
unoccupied geography as not to in  flick damage. Either the entry is
over the ocean or a very remote land form and only a few watch the
reentry, with passing interest. In some respect the information provided
is lost.

 If an uninformed observer saw the disaster Saturday and saw, say the
Peekskill Meteor, it looked similar.

From the infromation becomming available from the accident. the entry
pattern,  the visual flight across the sky, the maps of the debris field
and the radar images of the metallic trail made, video of the reentry -
raised a question - Can we, those interested in meteors and their
flight,  use the information to understand meteors more?

I do not want to offend any one from the above comment.

George John Drobnock