[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) A thought,

George wrote:

> From the infromation becomming available from the accident. the entry
> pattern,  the visual flight across the sky, the maps of the debris field
> and the radar images of the metallic trail made, video of the reentry -
> raised a question - Can we, those interested in meteors and their
> flight,  use the information to understand meteors more?
>
> I do not want to offend any one from the above comment.

    *Absolutely* no offence taken. With the greatest of due respect -- I
will be attending the telecast of the memorial service at the local science
centre within the half hour -- the Columbia seven died in the name of
science, but the name of science did not die with them. If any scientific
observations, and I mean ANY, can come from the mission, it will have
achieved a small measure of success. If the debris that remained from the 80
science experiments on board can tell us something in how it fell to Earth,
then I think we should be paying attention.

    regards, Bruce