[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Re: Weekly Meteor Activity Outlooks

Joseph, Jonathan, et al:

	As much as I appreciate Bob's work, and enjoy the HTML formatting, we need
to remember that (1) there ARE people whose mail clients don't support
HTML -- notably in the academic community, where open-source unix-based
platforms prevail -- and (2) HTML mail does in fact eat up 10 to 50 times
more bandwidth than plain text (largely because of the inefficient way in
which it is implemented).  Now, this may not matter to me on a 144k
dedicated line, but somebody who dials up on a 14.4k modem from the other
side of the world may not appreciate the additional weight of downloading
all that useless markup with their mail.
	Now, granted, that doesn't give anyone the right to flame Bob on or
off-list about formats, but at the same time, we shouldn't ride roughshod
over the needs and wants of the "other side".  Remember, we're all here to
share and promote knowledge; let's make sure we don't make that any harder
than necessary for anyone involved.

Clear skies and a hearty "thank you" to Bob, Lew, and everyone here who
makes meteorobs such a worthwhile experience...

Peter