[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteoroid heating

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fleming" <enders_gt@juno.com>
Subject: (meteorobs) meteoroid heating

> guess my question is this... for those who obtain spectra of incoming
> meteors - how do you discern the emissions from the ionized atmospheric
> gasses and those of the frozen gasses attributable to the cometary
> debris. I know some of the more  complex compounds will have their
> readily identifiable signature but how can you state with certainty the
> make up of the meteoroid?
> I'm thinking the spectral image will be a combination of the two.
> Any thoughts?
> Tom

Tom:
    A meteor spectrum consists of a combination of meteoric composition and
atmospheric components such as oxygen and nitrogen.  As for internal frozen
gasses, I don't think you can say that a spectrum signature can be
attributed to one or the other but are a combination of both.  A quote from
a paper published in Earth, Moon, and Planets. Special Issue, Leonid Storm
Research, paper HDTV Spectroscopy of 1999 Leonid Meteors by Abe ET.AL
states. "Meteor emission originates from a mixture of atoms and molecules
ablated from the meteoroid itself as well as from the surrounding air."  If
your interested in the above you can pick up a copy of the publication above
from the SETI Institute Gift Shop for $43:00 plus $15.00 S.H.  in US$.  This
publication provides an excellent overview of current professional research
on a number of topics.

Ed Majden - AMS Meteor Spectroscopy Coordinator