[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

R: (meteorobs) Radiant calculation from a single meteor?

----- Original Message -----
From: David Entwistle <david@d-entwistle.fsnet.codot uk>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2003 11:41 AM
Subject: (meteorobs) Radiant calculation from a single meteor?

> Hi,
>
> If a single meteor is recorded from several geographical locations, can
> you calculate the 'radiant' position, by combining the observed paths -
> in the same way that you'd do it for one observer and multiple shower
> meteors?
> --
> David Entwistle

Sorry for the bad English.

Only if you can calculate the meteor orbit, in this case you can calculate
the radiant of this meteor assuming that it's not a sporadic meteor,
but you must remember that in a meteor shower two meteors can have
different orbital elements and then a (little) different radiant.
You certainly are thinking at the Priham meteorite and at its twin of 2002,
in
this case we can calculate the radiant utilizing the orbits (very similars)
of the
two meteorites as the orbit of a comet or an asteroid parent.
Roberto Gorelli

Follow-Ups: References: