[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: R: (meteorobs) Radiant calculation from a single meteor?

In message <000801c2fc35$88b7ac40$22adcbd5@cesebran>, Roberto G.
<md6648@mclinkdot it> writes
>Sorry for the bad English.

Roberto,

Thanks for the reply. No need to apologise, your English is excellent.

>Only if you can calculate the meteor orbit, in this case you can calculate
>the radiant of this meteor assuming that it's not a sporadic meteor,
>but you must remember that in a meteor shower two meteors can have
>different orbital elements and then a (little) different radiant.
>You certainly are thinking at the Priham meteorite and at its twin of 2002,
>in
>this case we can calculate the radiant utilizing the orbits (very similars)
>of the
>two meteorites as the orbit of a comet or an asteroid parent.

That's correct I was thinking about the events of one year ago. I found
Jan and Pavel's posts most interesting.

If you and I were fortunate enough to witness another fireball tonight -
both at the same time, so we are sure it is the same event. You plot it
on a star chart between points A and B and I plot it between points C
and D. Neither of us know the radiant, but because we are in different
locations points A and B, C and D will be different. If we exchange
information, our two lines will cross at one point. Is that the radiant?

That seems too simple - no orbital information required, so I guess I'm
missing something. But I can't figure out what...

--
David Entwistle

Follow-Ups: References: