[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: R: (meteorobs) Radiant calculation from a single meteor?

David wrote:

> If you and I were fortunate enough to witness another fireball tonight -
> both at the same time, so we are sure it is the same event. You plot it
> on a star chart between points A and B and I plot it between points C
> and D. Neither of us know the radiant, but because we are in different
> locations points A and B, C and D will be different. If we exchange
> information, our two lines will cross at one point. Is that the radiant?

Yes, it is! This is the whole principle of simultanious photography. The
only other thing you need to calculate an orbit, is the velocity.

- Marco

Drs Marco Langbroek

marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl
meteorites@dmsweb.org
http://home.wanadoodot nl/marco.langbroek

"What seest thou else
 In the dark backward and abysm of time?"

                            William Shakespeare
                            The Tempest act I scene 2