[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Persistent meteor trains

I was having a seniors moment, of course it wasn't self luminous. Thanks for
the replies from Ed, Jure, and others.
Seeing that cloud was quite exciting for us as we are into watching for NLC
from Edmonton. I have a couple of decent photos of the cloud.

The self luminousity brings up an interesting question. Because the Moon was
almost full, could it have given some added brightness to some of the longer
lasting trails see during the 2001 Leonids??

I was out at our dark site that night and a - 8 bolide that passed near
Jupiter left a trail that I watched for about 10 minutes at 1x and for over
20 minutes in my 80mm finder at 15x.

Larry

>     What you saw from Edmonton were noctilucent clouds believed to have
been
> caused by the passage of the fireball.  These had drifted down from the
> north and were visible later that evening.  I don't think that the actual
> fireball was visible from Edmonton as it was heading in from the north
> landing on Tagish Lake.  The train mentioned in your message is what is
> called a "dust train".  When you talk about such things you must be
specific
> about the type of meteoroid that produces this train.  Cometary meteors
like
> the Leonids and Perseids don't penetrate that deeply into the atmosphere
> before they are completely ablated or burnt up.  A meteorite dropping
> fireball can be visible to down to around 10 kms and these are the type
that
> can have a "dust train".  This "dust train" is visible be reflected
sunlight
> where the much higher trains from meteoroids like the Leonids/Perseids are
> self luminous.
>
> Ed Majden

Follow-Ups: References: