[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs)

Title: Re: (meteorobs)
In a message dated 7/14/03 10:00:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time, mirage@gilanet.com writes:
>>It is very overcast here from the monsoon clouds...if it were above we never could have seen it.. This was a bright ....big....green ball of fire..  We could not see stars etc.  It was really low and below the clouds.
Nevyn<<

Then it was very big....big enough to leave a fairly good sized crater on the ground. I wonder if anybody has called in to report a big disaster from the impact? To be still incandescent below the clouds, it's velocity would have to be very high, thus mean its size is also very large....at least well over 10 tons. I can't figure how something this large hitting the ground at speeds great enough for the "friction" to keep it still glowing would go unnoticed on the ground?
George Zay

My thought is a little milder than George's and it is based on some personal experience.

We had overcast skies during the entire 2001 Leonid display. Where everyone else traveled to clear skies, my group sat it out on my deck. Except for partly cloudy skies during the first 30 minutes, the only thing visible in the sky for MOST of the night was Jupiter; however, there were times when not even it was seen. Nevertheless, I saw 80 meteors during the 6-hour session, several of which lit up the sky and ground. I was amazed at how distinct the bright meteors seemed to be despite the fact that they were above the clouds. Many of these were green, thus indicating very bright objects.

I think the proper way to interpret Nevyn's account is to acknowledge the fact that a very bright meteor was seen and that it was so bright it appeared distinct through the clouds. With Jupiter as a guide in 2001, I noted that the meteors that distinctly appeared through the clouds were at least -6 in brightness. Not knowing the thickness of the cloud cover during Nevyn's observation, the meteor might have been similar or significantly brighter. We might be talking about something the size of a softball or basketball, depending on its composition, but I doubt that it weighed 10 tons.

Sincerely,
Gary