[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Encke and Taurids this year?

The next scheduled appearance of the 1981 kind for the
>Taurids should be in 2005, according to them.
>
>- Marco

Interesting stuff, Marco.  The Moon phase situation also favors 2005, New
Moon will be Nov. 2, 2005.  Next year, a little less favorable as Last
Quarter falls on Nov. 5, 2004.  Any year, however, that a 1981-type Taurid
display happens, every meteor observer should make an effort to see it if
they can.  It was incredible.  Even the weather wouldn't be much of a
concern, because in 1981, the Taurid fireball spectacle when on every night
for almost three weeks!!    Could we be so lucky again?  Regards, Paul

>From: "Marco Langbroek" <marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl>
>To: <meteorobs@meteorobs.org>
>Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Re: Encke and Taurids this year?
>Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 19:51:58 +0100
>
>Asher and Izumi have published on this a few years ago in the MNRAS 297
>(1998), 23-27.
>
>According to them a cloud of particles in the stream in a 'mean motion
>resonance' in the 7:2 resonance is responsible for these years with above
>average Taurid activity (and indeed, 1981 was one of those years). In other
>words, it is due to a same kind of phenomena as the 1998 Leonid fireball
>component was. The next scheduled appearance of the 1981 kind for the
>Taurids should be in 2005, according to them.
>
>- Marco
>
>------
>Dr Marco Langbroek
>Leiden, the Netherlands
>52.15896 N, 4.48884 E (WGS 84)
>
>meteorites@dmsweb.org
>http://home.wanadoodot nl/marco.langbroek
>------
>
>The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
>To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:
>http://www.meteorobs.org/subscribe.html

MSN Shopping upgraded for the holidays!  Snappier product search...
http://shopping.msn.com