[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Clouded out max,and post max Geminids from London,UK

Well,I tried to observe the maximum,but as soon as it got dark,in rolled
the cloud! Despite this,I sat in the garden,and tried my luck,and was
rewarded,with 7 Geminids in one hour(from 22.30 - 23.30 UT),including a
-5,through the gaps and a few large sucker holes. All appeared pure white
to me.

The next night(15th)was very clear(LM approaching 6),so I attempted to
observe between 19.00 - 21.45 UT,with mixed success! Both meteors,which
could have been Geminids which I saw,were seen just a little too late to be
able to confirm their path from the Geminid radiant - one was lost behind
chimneys,and the other would have required eyes in the back of my head to
see properly! The highlight of the session made up for the lack of Geminids
however - A beautiful slow,vivid golden -4 mag Chi Orionid,which appeared
almost directly above me in Perseus,and left a wake over it's 15 degree path!

Then,some time later,perhaps 20 or 30 minutes,another Chi Orionid
appeared,this time a +1 also yellow/gold,followed only 10 seconds later by
the third and final Chi Orionid of the night,which was warm white +3 mag.
The last 45 minutes or so was completely devoid of any activity,and I was
getting cold,so I called it a night,and went in. I only saw
one(unimpressive +4 mag) sporadic during the whole session,giving me a
grand total of 6 in 2 and 3/4 hours observing.

Clear skies,
Leo