[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Ursid obs, Sharon Massachusetts, Dec 19

The sky is beautiful tonight, even in light-polluted suburbia. Spent a
brief, but thoroughly serene stretch observing.

I went outside on a whim, not exactly adequately dressed. Started off
almost immediately with a blue/green rather fast sporadic, then a rather
obvious (and orange) Ursid passing near Cassiopeia followed shortly
afterwards by 2 more sporadics, the last of which was dim, blue/green, 20
degrees long, and extremely fast. It was nice to clock on to so much
activity. However, a subsequent 15 minute stretch of no activity coupled
with a freshening wind and my inadequate clothing was discouraging enough
to send me packing earlier than I might have otherwise preferred.

I nearly tripped and fell into a puddle during the short walk home because
I could not take my eyes off the spectacular spread of constellations along
the ecliptic shepherded by a sublimely shining Saturn which I could have
sworn was perched on a celestial branch and grinning like the Cheshire cat.

Richard

---------
Richard Kramer Sharon MA USA
71 deg 10.87 min W   42 deg 6.53 min N  Elev 220 ft

EST 01:06 19 Dec  to 01:34 19 Dec
UTC 06:06 19 Dec  to 06:34 19 Dec

19 Dec
UTC              Teff   LM                Gem    Urs    Spor    Total
06:04 - 06:34    .98    3/4 (see notes)    0      1       3       4

Magnitude Distributions

           1    2   3   4
Gem       0    0   0   0
Urs       0    1   0   0
Spor      1    0   1   1

Notes:
1. Observation while facing NNW, center of field was Perseus, no obscuration
2. Limiting magnitude 4 for higher 60% of field, 3 for lower 40% of field
due to light pollution to the north
3. Temp 29 F, winds WNW 10 mph, sky clear in field of view
4. Color of the Urs was orange, speed very similar to the Geminids I
observed a few days ago