[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FW: distance

RASCALS et al:

    Someone asked, "What distance can you see a fireball from".  Jeremy
Tatum worked out the chart below for our all-sky camera detection range
coverage.  He has kindly given me permission to post his calculations.  The
numbers are approximate (but close) as the curvature of the earth and
atmospheric refraction was not considered.  If the fireball start point is
at an altitude of 90 km and it appears at 5 degrees above your horizon it is
643 km away from your location.

Ed Majden
Sandia Bolide Detection Station
Courtenay, B.C.
CANADA

Height                   0 deg              5 deg            10 deg

 5 km                     252 km              54 km            27 km
10                        356                104               55
15                        436                150               81
20                        504                194              107
40                        712                346              206
60                        870                476              297
80                       1004                590              383
90                       1064                643              423